Friday, October 12, 2007

Mind Breaker

The night was dark, lightly misted,
Moist droplets ran across my lips.
Light, cloying fingersran along down my hips.
Etheral darkness surrounded, my senses lifted.
Shapes flitted by, there, here,
Gone when I looked, it was nothing I could see.
It caught my eye, in the distance - there, could it be?
Closer it, or I, came. My breath caught with fear.
Tall, dark hair, black cape.
Cruel nose, red eyes, pale face.
He drifted near, guarded by empty space.
Arms lifted, cape opened, I watched with fear as he changed shape.
Cruel fangs, leather wings, same eyes
Stared into my sould, beat at my face.
Sharp fangs at my neck, tearing and cruel as a spiked mace.
"No, leave me!" I strained to scream line one who dies.
Gone, all gone. Was it really there?
I shuddered cold in the heat.
There - soft fur, like a cat at my feet.
Oh, I long to look. Do I dare?
No chance, for then a hoarish face sprange to sight.
Fetid breat, black eyes, wet nose
The mind recoils from the truth - Death, if he chose.
Saliva drips from an open mouth - resolve builds...how can I fight?
Hairy, clawed hands surround my throat.
Please, oh, please God, let me breath!
The horrid vision fades, the night begins to seethe.
My hands clutch, grab at the coarse fur coat.
Ah, sweet air! Deep breath-Opened eyes.
A shear moan of terror crawls out my mouth.
Monstrosities surround, close from east, north, west, and south.
My brain fills with mind-shattering cries.
Hands, paws, claws, teeth tear away my skin
Hot blood from my veins drive beasts mad.
Cold pain enters a body in tatters clad.
An inistant buzz fills hte sky,
Distant sleet leaves my fody fresh.
Then I see it, the mist that clings to human flesh.
There's no escape from this final nightmare - from my soul comes a silent cry.

Hmm, what was I thinking when I wrote this? I honestly can't remember. When I started typing it I thought it was a different one. As I transcribed it, it did make me think of something, whether it was the impetus for this writing I am not sure.

I could have sworn I dropped the rhyme style by now....

When I was about six years old, I had the same recurring nightmare. It wasn't your normal nightmare because even then, I knew it was just a dream. In the dream I was terrified, but I never woke scared. Here it is:

I am in a house at the end of a dead end street. It doesn't resemble the house I lived in, but I knew it was mine. There is no one else inside, there is one lamp on in the living room. I walk into the living room and see darkness through the windows. I am looking form the rest of my family - it is strange that no one is around at this time of the evening.
I look out the window, and drop to the floor, panicked. There are people moving around outside, coming out of houses open to the night, searching. Except they aren't people, they are vampires. I know they are vampires because they are all in classic vampire dress.
There are a few of them coming toward my house. What do I do? On my hands and knees I look around and crawl behind a chair on the other side of the room.
Just as I get hidden, the front door opens and in walks a number of vampires. I chance a peek around the back and see that they are my brothers and sisters. They begin searching the house for me.
When they get almost to where I am hiding, I jump up and sprint through the open door and run outside.After a while, I run out of breath and start walking, looking for someone to help. I can't find anyone, the only people I see are vampires, and they have all noticed me. I stop walking and look around at all of them looking at me, knowing I was the last person in the world.
Then I wake up.

I don't know how long I dreamed that same dream, nor when I stopped, but I still remember it vividly.

No comments: