Saturday, March 15, 2008

Marriage

Ok, so here I am, thinking through what arguements I want to use, doing research on points of view for both sides of the gay marriage arguement. Yadda yadda yadda. Then I realized, there is no point to arguing any of the points, really. A lot of people have done that already - there isn't a lot that I can say in response to those that are going to sway opinions one way or another.

So, I decided that I would skip the arguements altogether and just ask a question:

Why does a secular government see the need to make laws regarding who any consenting adult can marry, as long as taxes are paid by those persons?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A secular government probably wouldn't...but ours is not a secular government. Consider how much flak Obama has endured because of the comments of his pastor. Or the fact that Mitt Romney never had a chance just because he's Mormon. Or the fact that John Kerry was vilified in the press because he's Roman Catholic. Or the fact that practically all of the 40 something percent of the voting public that stands against legalized abortion does so on religious grounds.

I don't think this world has yet seen a truly secularized government. And, frankly, I'm not sure there are a lot of folks who want to.