Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Journal

I have always wanted to fly. One of my earliest memories is me standing in the side yard of our house in Filer, Id. I am looking up watching a jet fly overhead, convinced that it was an F-111. It may well have been - I had been collecting anything with planes on them for years & one of my favorites was a deck of cards with a different silouhette and designation of US fighting aircraft.
I don't really remember when my obsession with aircraft began, though. Its always just been there and it wasn't just any aircraft, it was military. I am the only kid I knew that had made up their mind about what he was going to be when he grew up. I knew I was going to be career military. I shared this dream with everyone. I am sure most adults laughted & shook their heads, thinking it just one of those temporary fancies most kids get. It wasn't.
I spent a lot of time in the Air Force recruiters' office growing up. Why the Air Force? Because they had the planes. At that age the services were completely compartmentalized. Air Force had planes, Navy had boats, Army had tanks, Marines had guns & cool uniforms. The Coast Guard was never really thought of.
Both of my parents were veterans - my dad was in the Army-Air Corp, my mom was in both the Army & Navy. My mom never talked about her experiences, but my dad shared a lot of his. I grew up with stories of his tour in France - fascinating stuff, especially to a kid already enamoured with the military.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I be enduring read a only one of the articles on your website in the present circumstances, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorites entanglement page roster and resolve be checking assist soon. Cheer check in view my position as approvingly and fail me know what you think. Thanks.